Educational Services at SSK focus on the wholistic growth of children with developmental disabilities. The services focus on nurturing children’s special abilities, their unique personalities, learning styles and educational potentials while simultaneously helping them develop into self assured, independent individuals.
The Centre for Special Education (CSE) is a Day Centre (9.30am – 3.30pm) for age groups varying from 5 to 20 years.
- To optimize the potentials of children through a comprehensive educational / vocational programmes so as to make a successful transition to adulthood and the world of further education, training or work.
- To optimize the potentials of children and their families through provision of comprehensive support services.
- To provide a platform for advocacy and awareness programme.
CSE provides the following facilities:
- Medical Consultations, Counselling and Psycho-Educational Evaluations.
- Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Sensory Integration Therapy, Speech Therapy, Art, Yoga, Sports & Music.
- Specialised seating to suit individual needs, wheelchairs, mobility aids and equipment to enhance daily life activities.
The Educational Programmes include:
- Academic Programme – Pre primary, primary, secondary and senior secondary.
- Basic Education and Life Skill Training Program – at the Junior and Senior Levels with Functional Literacy and Prevocational Skills.
- Enrichment Centre – a Learning Centre for all students, which cater to the lateral development of the curriculum through Theme based projects and Multi Sensory approaches.
- Co-curricular Activities that includes Art, Music, Clay, Story Telling and Dramatics.
Early Child Education introduces young children to the structured world of learning through a Multi Sensory approach. Play Way and project methods are widely used to enhance early skills in psycho-social development, cognition, speech and language, fine motor, vision and self help skills. It also prepares children for a future in academics, functional literacy and inclusion into mainstream schools.
The sections include
- Assessments & Individual Interventions
- Joyful Learning Centre (Pre-primary)
- Transition group and
- Primary classes
Formal Education Unit has students from Primary - Middle School with recognition of the State Education Board (upto Class 7). All subjects are imparted to the students at the middle school level. After the middle school, the students who can continue in the academic stream are placed in the Learners’ Centre and registered with National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) at the Secondary level.
Includes training children in Functional Literacy, Communication and Life Skills, Social Emotional Adjustment and Pre vocational Training for students between the age 10-14 years.
Learners' Centre offers an Inclusive Education programme for children with special needs, for children who are unable to cope with the mainstream curriculum and for the economically disadvantaged. The academic programme is planned after assessing the student’s functioning level and abilities with instruction provided keeping in mind the learning pace of the children and their wholistic development.
The students follow a Bridge Group Learning programme, Pre NIOS curriculum after completion of their middle school. Upon completing this level, the students are admitted for the NIOS Secondary classes. After the Secondary class, students pursue their Senior Secondary classes based on their performance and the rest take up Vocational Skill Training.
Apart from the academic programme, the skill training incorporated in the syllabus includes life skill training, sports, music, computer training and vocational courses to enhance their overall development. Counseling and guidance services provided helps in the students’ social and emotional well being. Medical screening and therapy interventions are also provided for students at the Diagnostic and Research Centre, SSK if and when required.
National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) - SSK is a Special Accredited institution of National Institute of Open Schooling for Secondary course (Recognition given in 1999 under the category - SAIED). Children with special needs are registered with SSK. Regular classes are conducted at SSK for Pre NIOS, Secondary and Senior Secondary students. SSK is one of the examination Centers of NIOS to conduct the government examinations for Secondary and Senior Secondary classes. Examinations are held in the months of October and April. Certificates issued by NIOS are accepted for higher education, Govt. jobs and all other purposes. Also, the certificate issued by NIOS is accepted by National / State Boards and Universities.
For more information about NIOS visit the website www.nios.org
This centre caters to the needs of the children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Services are provided for children from age of 4 – 18 years which include -
- Baseline Assessment
- Review Assessment
- Speech and Language Evaluation
- Behavioural Training
- Group Based Education
- Home Based Parent Training
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Sensory Integration
- Individual Intervention Programme
- Inclusion for High Functioning Children
- Vocational and Living Skills Training
The IGICH Unit has a group intervention nursery programme aimed at preparing the children for school. The focus of the programme is on development of motor skills, activities of daily living, concept development, language skills, and social interaction. The programme also focuses on the role of mother in the early development of the child, with parent training as another aspect of intervention.