The Centre for Special Education (CSE) is a day centre (9.30am – 3.30pm) for age groups varying from 6 to 20 years.
- To optimize the potentials of children through a comprehensive educational / vocational programmes so as to make a successful transition to adulthood and the world of further education, training or work.
- To optimize the potentials of children and their families through provision of comprehensive support services.
- To provide a platform for advocacy and awareness programme.
CSE provides the following facilities:
- Medical consultations, counseling and psycho-educational evaluations.
- Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Sensory Integration Therapy, Yoga & Music Therapy and Speech Therapy.
- Specialised seating to suit individual needs, wheelchairs, mobility aids and equipment to enhance daily life activities.
- The centre has the recognition of the State Education Board ( upto Class 7) and the National Institute of Open Schooling for Open Basic Education and Seconday ( Class 10).
- SSK was given special accreditation in 1999 under the category SAIED – Special Accreditation of the Disadvantaged from National Institute of Open Schooling. Students from other special schools are registered here.
The center follows two models of inclusion:
Children with disabilities from CSE are placed in regular schools and close follow-up is maintained.
Admission is open at CSE also to children with learning difficulties and the economically disadvantaged.
The Educational Programmes include:
- Academic Programme – Preprimary, primary, secondary and senior secondary.
- Non Formal Programme – at the Junior and Senior levels with functional literacy and pre-vocational skills imparted.
- Enrichment Centre – a learning center for all students, which cater to the lateral development of the curriculum through theme based projects and multi sensory approaches.
Early Child Education
Early Child Education introduces young children to the structured world of learning through a multi sensory approach. Play way and project methods are widely used to enhance early skills in psycho-social development, cognition, speech and language, fine motor vision and self help skills. It also prepares children for a future in academics, functional literacy and inclusion into mainstream schools.
The section includes Playgroup, Transition group and the Primary classes.
Formal Education Unit has students from Primary - Middle School to Secondary/Senior Secondary classes. All subjects are imparted to the students at the middle school level. After the middle school, the students who can continue in the academic stream are registered with National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) at the Secondary level.
National Institute of Open Schools Coaching Classes
A part time coaching programme for private students of Secondary and Senior Secondary.
Basic Life Skills Education Programme
Includes training in functional literacy, communication and life skills, social emotional adjustment and pre vocational training for students between the age 10-14 years.
The programme at the Learners' Centre caters for children who have difficulty in coping up with the mainstream curriculum and the economically backward.
The child who joins this programme is assessed for his/ her educational levels and the curriculum planned accordingly.
Vocational Training Unit (Saath Saath)
This unit focuses on training students for a sheltered workshop programme and also parents in aspects of production, so as to help set up such units in their communities
Rainbow Centre For Autism Spectrum Disorder
This centre caters to the needs of the children with Autism Spectrum Disorder or Pervasive Developmental Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Services are provided for children from age of four to twelve.
- Baseline Assessment
- Review Assessment
- Speech and Language Evaluation
- Behavioural Training
- Group Based Education
- Home Based Parent Training
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Vocational and Living Skills Training for older children.
- Inclusion for High Functioning Children
- Sensory Integration
- Individual Intervention Program
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, Rehabilitation Centre
- Joyful Learning Centre